University Professor and Silver Professor of Philosophy;
Ph.D. 1972 (philosophy), M.A. 1968 (philosophy), Harvard;
B.A. 1967 (mathematics), Wisconsin.
Department of Philosophy
5 Washington Place
New York, NY 10003
Areas of Research/Interest:
metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of logic, philosophy of mathematics
Lakatos Prize, for Science Without Numbers, 1986; National Science Foundation Research Grant, 1979-1980, summer 1982, 1988-1989; Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship, 1979-1980; National Endowment for the Humanities Research Grant, 1972-1973.
Recent BookSaving Truth from Paradox (Oxford 2008)
Recent Papers (mostly with on-line links to not-quite-final versions)
- "Do We Have a Determinate Conception of Finiteness and Natural Number?", in Matthias Schirn, ed., Philosophy of Mathematics Today (Oxford University Press 1998), pp. 99–129.
- "Which Undecidable Mathematical Sentences Have Determinate Truth Values?", in H. Garth Dales and Gianluigi Oliveri, ed., Truth in Mathematics (Oxford University Press 1998), pp. 291–310.
- "Mathematical Objectivity and Mathematical Objects", in S. Laurence and C. Macdonald, eds., Contemporary Readings in the Foundations of Metaphysics (Basil Blackwell 1998), pp. 387–403.
- "Some Thoughts on Radical Indeterminacy", The Monist, April 1998, vol. 81, pp. 253–73.
- "Epistemological Nonfactualism and the A Prioricity of Logic", Philosophical Studies, 1998, vol. 92, pp. 1–24.
- "Deflating the Conservativeness Argument", The Journal of Philosophy, 1999, (pp. 533–40).
- "A Prioricity as an Evaluative Notion", in P. Boghossian and C. Peacocke, eds., New Essays on the A Priori (Oxford University Press 2000), pp. 117–49.
- "Indeterminacy, Degree of Belief, and Excluded Middle", Nous, 2000, pp. 1–30.
- "Causation in a Physical World", in M. Loux and D. Zimmerman, eds., Oxford Handbook of Metaphysics (Oxford University Press 2003).
- "Mathematical Undecidables, Metaphysical Realism and Equivalent Descriptions", in Auxier, Anderson and Hahn, eds., The Philosophy of Hilary Putnam (Library of Living Philosophers, Open Court) 2015, pp. 145-72.
- "Saving the Truth Schema from Paradox", Journal of Philosophical Logic, 2002, pp. 1–27.
- "A Revenge-Immune Solution to the Semantic Paradoxes", Journal of Philosophical Logic, April 2003, pp. 139–77.
- "Is the Liar Sentence Both True and False?", in Beall and Armour-Garb, eds., Deflationism and Paradox (Oxford University Press 2004), pp. 23–40.
- "The Semantic Paradoxes and the Paradoxes of Vagueness", in Beall and Glanzberg, eds., Liars and Heaps (Oxford University Press 2003), pp. 262–311.
- "No Fact of the Matter", in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 2003, pp. 457–480.
- "The Consistency of the Naive Theory of Properties", The Philosophical Quarterly, January 2004, pp. 78–104.
- "Recent Debates about the A Priori", in Gendler and Hawthorne, eds., Oxford Studies in Epistemology (Oxford University Press 2005), pp. 69–88.
- Contributions to symposium on Truth and the Absence of Fact (Precis of book and responses to Gupta and Martinez-Fernandez, Loewer, and McGee), Philosophical Studies (May 2005), pp. 41–44 and 105–28.
- "Variations on a Theme by Yablo", in Beall and Armour-Garb, eds., Deflationism and Paradox (Oxford University Press 2004), pp. 53–74.
- "Maudlin's Truth and Paradox", Philosophy and Phenomenological Research (2006), pp. 713–20.
- "Vagueness, Partial Belief and Logic", forthcoming in G. Ostertag, ed., Meanings and Other Things: Essays on Stephen Schiffer.
- "Compositional Principles versus Schematic Reasoning", The Monist (2006), pp. 9–27.
- "Solving the Paradoxes, Escaping Revenge", in JC Beall ed. The Liar's Revenge (Oxford 2007), pp. 78–144.
- "Truth and the Unprovability of Consistency", Mind 2006, pp. 567–605.
- "This Magic Moment: Horwich on the Boundaries of Vague Terms", forthcoming in Dietz and Moruzzi, eds., Cuts and Clouds: Essays in the Nature and Logic of Vagueness (Oxford).
- "Epistemology Without Metaphysics", Philosophical Studies 2009, vol. 143, 249–90.
- "What is the Normative Role of Logic", Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, Supplementary Volume 2009, vol 83, 251–68.
- "Pluralism in Logic", Review of Symbolic Logic 2009, vol. 2, 342–59; http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1017/S1755020309090182.
- What is Logical Validity? Forthcoming in Colin Caret and Ole Hjortland, eds., Foundations of Logical Consequence (Oxford University Press).
- "Naive Truth And Restricted Quantification: Saving Truth A Whole Lot Better", Review of Symbolic Logic 2014, vol. 7, 147-91.
- "Disarming a Paradox of Validity", forthcoming in Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic.
- "Prospects for a Naïve Theory of Classes", co-authored with Harvey Lederman and Tore Fjetland Ogaard. Forthcoming in the Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic.
- "Indicative Conditionals, Restricted Quantifiers, and Naive Truth", to appear in Review of Symbolic Logic. Published online Oct. 19 2015.
- Metaphysics: Causation (in conjunction with Ned Block), Fall 1997
- Seminar on Vagueness and Indeterminacy (in conjunction with Stephen Schiffer), Spring 1998
- Seminar on Logic and Philosophy of Logic, Spring 1999
- Seminar in Philosophy of Mathematics, Fall 1999
- Seminar on Theory of Meaning, Spring 2000
- Seminar on Causation (in conjunction with Gordon Belot), Fall 2000
- Mind and Language Seminar: Content and its Role in Explanation (in conjunction with Stephen Schiffer), Spring 2001
- The Semantic and Set-Theoretic Paradoxes (in conjunction with Kit Fine), Fall 2001
- Mind and Language Seminar: Factually Questionable Discourse (in conjunction with Stephen Schiffer), Spring 2003
- Seminar in Philosophy of Logic, Fall 2003
- Seminar in Logic, Spring 2004
- Seminar in Philosophy of Logic (in conjunction with Crispin Wright), Spring 2005
- Seminar on Truth, Fall 2005
- Seminar on Semantic Paradoxes, Fall 2006
- Mind and Language Seminar: Formal Epistemology (in conjunction with Jim Pryor), Spring 2007
- Seminar on Norms of Rationality, Fall 2007
- Thesis Preparation Seminar, Spring 2008
- Seminar on Foundations of Mathematics, Fall 2008
- Seminar on Philosophy of Mathematics, Spring 2009
- Pro-seminar (with Ted Sider), Fall 2009
- Logic (Classical and Non-Classical), Spring 2010
- Seminar on Truth, Spring 2011
- Pro-seminar (with Stephen Schiffer), Fall 2011
- Seminar on the Revisability of Logic (with Graham Priest), Fall 2011
- Seminar on Factually Defective Discourse, Fall 2012
- Seminar on Probability (with Paul Horwich), Spring 2013
- Seminar on Truth and Vagueness, Fall 2013
- Pro-seminar (with Cian Dorr), Fall 2014
- Seminar on Conditionals (with Graham Priest), Fall 2014
- Seminar on Applied Mathematics (with Cian Dorr), Fall 2015
- Logic for Philosophers, Spring 2016